Thursday, June 17, 2010

We have a DOG!!!!

Well, after dog-sitting my four-legged niece I saw how much Gage missed having a dog around (and me too). I had wanted to wait until Christmas to get the kids a new dog but frequently look on petfinders but really never saw a dog that caught my eye. Well, I went on the site on Tuesday and saw Layla..an american bulldog mix. I've always wanted an american bulldog and she looked so much like my Sophie. It said she was a goof-ball and needed training though so I was not sure about her but called anyways. The lady said she could meet us Wednesday at 5:30pm and that she was headed out of town on Thursday for a week. So, James and I packed up Gage and Autumn and went to check her out. As soon as she walked over to Gage and I she layed on her back for us to rub her belly....and I fell in love. She knocked Gage over when he was going to throw her a tennis ball because she has such massive strength...she's 2 (still a pup) and weighs 85 lbs. He laughed and got back up and continued to play with her. She never jumped on me and let me rub all over her body....even between her toes. I went to get James and Autumn out of the car to come check her out. James liked her as well and she was easy with Autumn and just sniffed her face (which Autumn did not like). So, I filled out the adoption papers and she was ours. Whoo Hoo! We took her home within 30 mins of seeing her....I was not expecting that! Gage and I made an expensive trip to Petsmart to get lots of goodies and the essentials. Layla was a good girl while we were gone. We were warned she LOVES to chew and swallow things. She climbs chain link fences. She LOVES people and she still needs some training which her professional trainer has agreed to come to our house and help us train her more. She's also potty-trained, spayed, micro-chipped, current on all her shots, and heartworm negative. She is a little scared right now of Autumn's equipment and stays away from it. We took her walking and she did great. We even did some training trying to teach her to sit when we open the front door and to not go out until after we give her the command to. She did good. She also got a much needed bath which she did not enjoy..I could nto lift her into the tub so she took one in James' shower. She loves to play with Gage in the backyard with her new frisbee. She's been pure joy so far and makes it really feel like home...I've missed living without a dog around. She does shed some which I have to stay on top of by lots of brushing and sweeping. Today will be our first full day with her so hope all goes well. ;)
This photo was taken AFTER her bath...I was tired and soaked. ;)






1 comment:

Mikala said...

That dog is HUGE! You're so brave. But then again you've always been an animal lover. Congrats on your new addition!