Monday, October 25, 2010

Night nursing

Okay, so the nurse I was complaining about several weeks ago is still with us for 1 and sometimes 2 day shifts a week but stopped her Sunday night shift. So far she's been able to be on time and praying it will keep up so we don't have to find a nurse to replace her. It came down to her body was not adjusting well working Sunday night and then having one day off and then switching to a day shift on Tuesday so she would sleep too late and not make it on time.

So, the nurse we LOVE is no longer with us. :( She worked Wednesday and then Thursday we received a call from the nursing company that she needed to work 11pm-7am instead of 8pm-8am. Well, that would not work for us. I need her in earlier so I can have that time to do my devotionals with the older kids, read books, and tuck them into bed. I need her to stay until 8am so that I can take the kids to school in the morning before the nurse leaves. I hated having to tell them to find us a new nurse but it's pointless to have nursing if it's not benefitting us the most even though I will truly miss her. They asked if I wanted her to go ahead and work this past Friday from 11pm-7am since they did not have time to get a new nurse to cover her shift. I said yes because we want to be able to say goodbye to her. Gage was really attached to her and so we decided to make her a card. Gage wrote it himself and then spent all evening drawing flowers and heart all over the card. Around 7pm the agency called and said that our nurse was not able to come in because she thought she was no longer with us and had already made plans for the night. Gage was crushed and so was I. We cried and cried and cried some more. We would play a game and then he would start thinking about her again and cry which would make me cry. We called and talked to Grampy to get his mind off of it...as soon as he hung up the phone he cried some more. He even decided to draw on the back of her paper 2 pictures of himself. One was of him about to cry and the other was of him crying. It broke my heart. I'm going to ask the agency this week if they can have her call me so I can see if she will come over one more time to say our goodbyes. I know she has to work her shifts around her husbands and her kids babysitter and wishes she could stay with us as well. Some nurses just really make a huge impact and become part of our family and it's hard saying goodbye. I still talk with 2 of our old nurses from Midland and I miss them as well. I will also miss my late Friday night talks with Miss Margaret.

1 comment:

Mikala said...

She has multiple husbands?! LOL - Just kidding. I had to find the funny since the post was sad. :( Love you!