It was a very eventful Thursday for my household. I dropped off Layla in the AM for her TPLO surgery (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) to repair her ACL. Came home, cleaned, and then my SIL took drove me to Ft. Worth so I could meet up with my best friend Tanya who was in town because her daughter was having a procedure for her acid reflux. Her husband had to stay home and I felt Tanya needed some help (plus gives me an excuse to spend time with her) and support with Kynsie. Oh boy, am I glad I went! It was dramatic..they put a nasalgastric tube down her and she was hooked to a machine we took home to record her acid reflux episodes. She threw a fit and kept vomiting afterwards so I'm not sure how Tanya was going to manage it all on her own. We headed home for them to stay overnight with us. She was happy once away from those mean people. ;)
I called to check on Layla around noon and they said she had just woken up from surgery and to call back around 4pm to see if she needed to stay overnight or could come home. I was told beforehand she would have to stay overnight which had me sad to think of her laying in a cold, dark kennel all night in pain without her momma. We got home and I called right away and they said she could come home...yay! So, I picked her up along with her 3 different meds she has to take. She was not happy with me that evening and would not make eye contact but forgave me by the end of the night. ;) For the surgery they basically cut the knee bone and realign it and put in a plate to keep it stable. The huge part is the recovery which is 6-8 weeks of kennel rest with therapy. This allows cartiliage to grow back by resting and therapy is used to give range of motion back to the dog's knee.
I was shocked that Layla was actually walking and putting weight on her leg already which is not good for me. She hated her e-collar and her kennel so making her stay lying down on her bed is not so easy. So, it was like a zoo at my house...Tanya was carrying Kynsie around the entire time since she had the tube and machine and we did NOT want it coming out. I was trying to get Layla all situated and to stay still while also still doing Autumn's normal daily routine and Gage's homework. James cooked out for us which was helpful. Madison had a friend over as well. Tanya and I just kept laughing at how crazy it was at first but then by late evening it settled more.
Layla was doing pretty good except for wanting to walk around which would cause her incision site to bleed. I would get her all cleaned up and then she would go again. She HATED her e-collar and cried as soon as she saw me move her kennel into the livingroom. We tried a loosely wrapped ace bandage around the sutures to keep her from messing with them at night but that was not working either. I moved her bed and food into my bedroom to get her settled for the night. She finally ate a little but still did not want to lay down. She wanted to stand at my bed and stare at me to pet her. I decided to join her in her bed on the floor and sleep with her to keep her still and from chewing on her incisions. We both were up and down all night.
Today she's being a little bit more still for me as long as I sit in one place and put her bed next to me. She gets kenneled whenever she decides to walk around instead of sitting and resting. ;) Doggie Rehab starts today as well. I have to do stretching exercises, passive range of motion exercises, and massaging of her leg. She needs to be on kennel rest for 6-8 weeks and in about 2 weeks we can start walking exercises. So, the next few weeks will be lots of work but worth it to get her back to 100%.
1 comment:
Poor Layla, she looks so sad! I wouldn't want that big cone on my head either!
Post a Comment