Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gage (he seems to have more going on than Autumn these days)

On Thursday, Gage was accidently knocked down at school and fell face first into the cement.  He got a knot and it scraped the skin on his forehead.  Nurse checked him out and he was fine & stayed at school.  Well, that evening he started running fever.  Friday morning he still had a low grade fever so I kept him home.  I was thinking maybe strep again but his throat looked fine and nothing seemed to work.  We cancelled our plans that evening & stayed home.  Saturday he started running a little higher temp but still acted and felt fine.  He would cough a little here and there but nothing major.  Also, at night when most kids run a higher temp..his fever would go away and not return until morning.  We kept him home from the 2nd party his was suppose to attend that weekend.  His temp stayed around 99-100 on Sunday but he really wanted to go to the 3rd party we were suppose to attend that weekend so I decided to go ahead and give him meds & go.  I know, I hate those parents who send their kids to school or places when running a temp but we NEVER get to go out on weekends and Gage was dying to go to the party & it was for one of our friends kids.  So, we went and Gage had a great time.  Jumped in the jumpers and never coughed once.  He felt great but I still made him rest but I did not want him to push it.  That evening I noticed he had these bug bite looking marks around his ankles.  Not sure where those came from & they were not itching him. I also listened to his lungs and checked his throat and they were both clear. So, Monday morning his temp was only 99.0 so I decided to send him to school (he has already missed 3 days this year).  He was complaining EVERYTHING hurt though.  He was fine over the weekend when there was no school but now his arm hurt, his head hurt, his tummy hurt, his foot hurt, it hurt to stretch his arms back, etc.  He went to school anyways and was fine all day.  He came home and I noticed he had bug looking bites all over his legs.  It was strange and he was still running a 99 temp so I told James to take him to CVS minute clinic.  While there James called and asked how long his foot had been swollen.  What?! It has not been but apparently the top was swelling up.  Anyways, CVS said he had bronchitis and needed to be checked out in the ER about his foot and to make sure he did not have pneumonia. James came home, we fed Gage dinner, and then I took him to the ER. I listened to his lungs when he got home and sure enough he was wheezy.  Our experience with Autumn has made us really good at listening to all the different lung sounds. This is the same ER that we took Autumn to & they ran EVERY test possible & wanted to admit her even after finding out she had a UTI & her neuro cleared her of a shunt infection so we had to plea our case to go home. ;) I was nervous to take Gage but figured he would be admitted because his foot looked so bad and was extremely painful to him.  They take us back and I explain everything.  Gage wanted "walking sticks" but they let him ride a wheelchair back.  The dr came in and glanced a his leg (which looked really gross by now).  It was started to whelp up all over both legs.  He was ofcourse concerned about his foot and said it looked like an allergic reaction but wanted to take x-rays to make sure it was not a break.  I told him about the bronchitis but no one even listened to his lungs or did a chest x-ray.  The dr did not even look in his mouth or ears!  They took x-rays of his foot which made him cry.  A nurse came in to give him a steroid for the bronchitis and benedryl for the foot.  I was waiting for the dr. to come in and do his exam and talk about the x-ray but nope.  The nurse came back instead with our discharge papers and prescriptions.  I asked what was the verdict and he said cellulitis and bronchitis.  I had to ask questions for him to explain anything to me or suggestions of home care.  It was crazy!  I'm so use to drs over-reacting to Autumn with her trach/shunt/etc but with Gage they were so laid-back & I had to pry info out of them.  Amazing how different they were treated.  Anyways, instead of insisting more I decided to just go home, give the meds, and see about following up with his pediatrician.  They said he would need to stay home 2 days from school and stay off his foot so the infection would not spread.  So, I have been home with a CRANKY boy!  The foot swelling was gone by Tuesday morning and the meds seem to be working.  I am waiting to take him to his pedi since he's doing well.  Still has a 99 temp every once in awhile but goes away without medicine.  He is resting a lot and using Autumn's chair to get around when she does not need it.  :)  Cellulitis is a bacterial infection that starts from an open wound.  I am thinking he got it from his fall on Thursday at school or from the bug looking bites on his ankle.  He has been coughing a little more and his lungs were crackly last night but sound clear this morning so far so I think it's breaking up & clearing out.  I can hear air passing through the lungs so that is good.  James & I had planned on going a date this week but ofcourse a kid would become sick.  We did manage to go to lunch together yesterday while my SIL watched the kids.  I told James that it's okay, in about 15 years we will be able to date again & I will get to sleep in.  Life with kids is never boring!!!

No comments: