Monday, November 21, 2011
Spina Bifida Occulta
Crazy discovery last night. I visited my grandparents yesterday & my grandmother was telling me about me having to have my urinary tract stretched when I was little (which I never knew about). So, when I got back to my parents house my mom brought me my medical file from my pediatrician. It had all my weights & heights, sicknesses, and then the report from when I was having bladder issues. I had a VCU done when I was 3 years old. I was reading the report and the first line says, "Scout film shows spina bifida occulta of L5" What?! I read my parents the report & they had no clue! There are 3 types of spina bifida: occulta, meningolcele, and myleomenigocele. Most people have no clue they have sb occulta unless they get an x-ray or procedure done at some point in their life & it is discovered. There is a gap in the spine at the level but no nerves are damaged in this type of SB. Autumn has SB myloemenigocele which is the most severe form & the one that does have nerve damage. If you have SB occulta though you are 5-10 times more likely to have a child with SB. If I knew this information, I could of known to take higher doses than normal of folic acid to maybe prevent Autumn's SB BUT I trulyfeel God is control either way & know no matter what I do, His will would be done & believe His will has always been for Autumn to have SB & touch many more lives than she probably would of as a "normal" child. It just blows my mind to think that I have SB as well. Makes me wonder how many SB parents have it as well & even if my others kids may have it? So interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Like Autumn, Noah is the only one with myelo in our little family. But in the big family, there are a few who have meningocele or occulta.
Post a Comment