This week we have 4 doctor appts scheduled...3 for Autumn and 1 for Gage.
Autumn had a follow-up with neurology to see how she's doing on her new seizure meds. She's been doing awesome so he was pleased told us to report back in 3 more months. We also took her to see a gastroenterologist dr since she has never seen one since getting her g-button placed at 11 weeks old and I figured it was time for a larger button. She had seen a g.i.surgeon for her nissen surgery but no one to follow up with regularly. We had changed her to a new formula over a month ago and it's been horrible on her tummy. Lots of vomiting and diarrhea. We changed formula because she needed more calories but it's not helping and she just can not tolerate more volume that she needed from her old formula. Well, after talking it over with the dietician and her g.i.dr we decided it would be best to go back to her old formula and just change up her feeding schedule. So, now we will be feeding her 2.5oz once an hour for 16 hours each day. Yes, it's more work for us but if this can eliminate the vomiting then that is what we will have to do to get all her calories/water in each day. We could use a pump but she does even worse with a slow continious feed so the hourly boluses seems to be our best option...we will see. I LOVED her g.i.dr He walked in apologizing that we had to wait about 10 mins...really?! He immediately played with Autumn, made personal conversation with us, and was so kind. He said he likes to take the conservative approach (which is our way of dealing with things) and instead of going up on meds or running all kinds of tests...he said let's do what we know works and stick to that. My kind of doctor! We did move her button from a 1.2cm to 1.7cm...yay! We will follow-up with him every 6 months. Her last appt of the week was with her ENT. At first it was going to be an in and out appt since he really can not do anything with her still being on the vent (he's so ready to take her trach out) but then he asked if she needed a hearing test. Yes, as a matter of fact her school nurse just sent a note home yesterday that she needed to be tested for school records. So, they sent us to audiology to get tested. Ofcourse Miss Autumn did not cooperate and would not look the direction the noise was coming from. She did not fool the dr but without the response they could not pass her. As soon as I got out my iPad and turned on Elmo however she turned her body in an instant to look...she's such a brat! They did find out she has fluid in BOTH ears. Ugh! So, back to see the ENT to discuss our next steps. Our appt was at 1:30 and here is was 3:00 and waiting once again to see her ENT again. So, he came in and asked if I wanted to have him put tubes in her ears, do a sedation hearing test, and a routine bronch scope all at once. I asked if he really felt she needed tubes right now and he said it depends on how long the fluid has been in her ears. Well, no one knows because we have not had a confirmed ear infection since 2009 and when the drs look in her ears, they look fine. We know she does not have hearing loss (Elmo proved that) so he decided we can wait 3 months to check her ears again and if there is still fluid then we will schedule the surgeries. I'm glad to wait until next year because 2011 has been our first ever surgery free year and I'd like to keep it that way. ;)
Gage had his follow up appt with his endrocrinologist. It was a frustrating appt because it's about a 45 min drive there, we wait over an hour, and then they asked a couple of questions, measured & weighed him, and then told us we would have to go to LabCorp to get bloodwork done to test his TSH levels. That was the entire reason for the appt but apparently our insurance won't cover in office bloodwork. So, we paid $92 and then got to drive back 45 mins and then go to LabCorp to get blood drawn. He freaked but got lots of fake money at the $1 store to make it all better. ;) We should get the results next week and see what to do about his medication...they want to see us in 3 months but their office is now going to be out of network so now it looks like I can to find a new endocrin dr...lovely! I then get home to schedule Autumn's next vent clinic appt and find out our favorite drs have a 3rd dr on staff who will be doing most vent clinic days. Really?! It so frustrates me because they have seen my baby since she was 11 weeks old and she's a complicated case and I dread having to go through it all again with a new doctor & I trust them 100%...plus, I have no clue if he will gel well with us like the other drs do. So, I decided to wait to make my appt when one of the other drs are available but it may not happen so I may just have to pout and see the new guy. Not happy. Some weeks I just get so frustrated with dealing with medical people and all the changes...makes it more work for me and difficult at times.
On a good note however, we have scheduled our home study for our adoption. We go in Wednesday to have our 4 hour interview and then the Tuesday following that our caseworker will come to our house to check it out and talk with the kids. I am SO excited! It takes about 2 weeks to complete the home study & then we will see if we are accepted and if so....our home study goes out to CPS caseworkers to search for our son!!! Each step we get closer the more peace I feel. It's just an awesome feeling when you obey and walk in God's will to feel the peace & calmness He gives you. It's also comforting to know that one day soon, one more abandoned, neglected little boy will be able to lay his head down at night and not worry about if he will ever have a forever mommy and daddy to love & care for him & now he is safe from harm. Oh, I can not wait to meet that little boy!
1 comment:
Hi Lacy,
I stumbled upon your blog, and reading a few of the entries has given me a very meaningful inside perspective about having a child affected by spina bifida. I am inspired by your courage and touched by the pictures of your family that I had to reach out. My name is Courtney Beyer, and I am the new Study Coordinator at VitaPath Genetics. Earlier this year, we successfully completed the first phase of our landmark study looking at the genetic factors contributing to spina bifida. In conjunction with our academic collaborators at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI), Stanford, UC Berkeley and UCSF, we recruited over 1,000 women and their child affected by spina bifida to participate.
Our first phase produced promising results but, we believe that it is appropriate for us to replicate this study in a second, independent group of mothers. We are beginning our second study in early January and are reaching out to more mothers to participate. In order to reach as many women as possible, I would very much appreciate if you could include news about the study in your blog. I also have banners and buttons if you would like to post something on your site. In addition it would be great to connect with you via facebook (search SB Genetics) and twitter @sbgenetics.
I would like to get in contact with you to share more information and answer any questions that you may have. Please email me at CBeyer@vpgenetics.com and visit www.sbgenetics.org. This website gives an in depth explanation of the study as well as a link if you are interested in enrolling. Thank you for taking the time to read my note and I am greatly looking forward to being in contact.
Warmest regards and happy holidays,
Courtney
Post a Comment