Lately I have been waking up every morning to a stiff, aching back, neck, & shoulders. I know it's from all the physical demands of Autumn & her equipment. I got curious so I decided to weigh it all.
Autumn: 22 lbs.
Ventilator with battery: 20 lbs
Suction machinr: 9 lbs
Pulse oximeter: 2.5 lbs
Backpack to carry Dynavox/braces/shoes: 13 lbs
Oxygen tank: 5 lbs
Cart for supplies: 8lbs
Wheelchair with emergency supply backpack: 30 lbs
That adds up to 109.5 lbs that I load up at least once a day for 5 days a week. Some days it's more than once depending on how many appts or places we are going. This does not even count how many times I am picking up & transporting Autumn from the floor to her bed to another room to her wheelchair to her stander to the car along with her suction machine & pulse ox that is always attached to her. Carrying Autumn is not like carrying any other 22 lb. toddler. She's like dead weight that hangs...actually she pulls your ears, tries to claw your face, or throws her body completely backwards while you carry her & her pulse ox machine. The scary part is knowing she's only 3 years old & is just going to get bigger & bigger. James already has a bad back so I really can't count on him for the future. I guess it's time for me to start seeing a chiropractor to keep my back healthy to be able to keep up the demands to care for Autumn. She's totally worth it though...all 109 pounds or more of lifting I do each day so she can have a "normal" & functional life. ;) I so love that girl!
3 comments:
I totally agree that she (they) are so worth it
Are you doing all of this without nurses or help? You sound like a great mom and I understand how hard it is to go places with kids with equipment. I applaud you!
Nurses ride with me but I load & unload on my own usually. My SIL helps on days she works. :)
Post a Comment