Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Autumn's 4th Birthday

We had an early birthday party for Autumn the weekend of the walk since the family was here. It was so stress free.  We just ordered pizza for the family, opened presents, & had some cake. 
Autumn does not like having food so close to her

Autumn LOVES to dance & every time I walk by she death grips my hand or shirt until I spin her around.


I think this was one of her favorite gifts.  She smiled so big as soon as she saw it.



Every single year my kids have had a birthday party.  I know this technically was a party but without a fun activity or friends, I don't really consider it a party.  I feel bad for not throwing her such a big party because this little girl has so much to celebrate about her life but I started thinking about Autumn & what she would want.  She hates crowds, she gets overwhelmed with too many people, she does not eat food, there are limited activities she can do, etc.  So, instead of putting her through a party that would be stressful for her I figured we would do the small family party & then take her to the aquarium since it's one of those rare places she enjoys.  The Wednesday before for actual birthday the kids had a half day at school.  So, about 1:30 just the 5 of us headed to Grapevine to take her the Sea Life Aquarium.  It was so nice because there were only a few other people there so Autumn was not overwhelmed.

Madison & Autumn...I'm so blessed with such beautiful girls

Autumn checking out the stingrays

Daddy & Autumn in the bubble to get a closer look

Autumn was more interested in the fish faces that sissy kept making than the fish at times


After the aquarium we stopped in Coppell on the way home to eat Rosa's Cafe.  It's a food place that we LOVE in Midland/Odessa where I grew up & miss greatly.  The closest one in DFW to us is Coppell which is about a 40 minute drive.  As I sat in the restaurant with my family of 5, I realized this is the first time that we have been out to eat together with just us 5.  We only take Autumn to eat out when there is a birthday party for a family member & we have more help with Autumn.  It was nice to have that moment but I remembered why we don't do it.  Autumn was starting to get sick so she was desatting & needed suctioning constantly.  Daddy had pulled up Super Why on his phone for her to watch (or she would cry) so we were constantly having her grab & reach for the phone then it would mess up her show.  We could not hold a conversation.  My food had gotten cold & Mexican food is always best hot.  Good thing was that no one else was sitting in the area where we sat so we could suction & not have to excuse ourselves to the bathroom every time.  I personally think it's inconsiderate to suction Autumn when others are around us trying to eat.  It's not the most appealing sound or sight at times. We do it if the place is loud & can not be heard or if it's an emergency but otherwise we try to make bathroom trips to suction & not disturb others when food is around. :)  It was so nice to get out together as a family & do something fun since it's rare for all 5 of us to go somewhere together without more help for Autumn.  By the time we got home Autumn was running a fever & was sick for the next 5 days.  Allergy season is suppose to be a bad one this year & we are already feeling it here in our house.  :( 

I can not believe my baby girl is 4 years old.  I teased James that she's 4 going on 12 months again.  Her body keeps growing but her development remains behind.  She is improving but it's at an extremely slow rate but I've learned that's how Autumn does it & as long as we see progress then I know her little brain is still healing.  I do get discouraged at times but to look back at all she has been through in 4 years reminds me that we are SO blessed that she is even still with us today.  I prepared a 4 year old slideshow of Autumn's life for her 4th birthday.  You can see if here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzesXlJELuI&feature=plcp 
For some reason the pictures became blurry when I put it on you tube but you can still see what an amazing child God blessed our family with.

No comments: