Autumn was taking a nap this afternoon and the vent sounded like it had some water stuck in the tubing because Autumn's breathing was more rapid and making the same noise it does when this happens. When it happens we shake the tubes and the breathrate goes down and the noise stops. Well, I had forgotten to turn the heater back on when we got home so there was no water at all in the tubing. James said it sounded like the breathing nose was coming from her trach and we figured she had a leak since the hospital did not put her trach ties on tightly but we left her alone to sleep. Since she was breathing at a rate higher than normal and high sats, we turned down her breathrate down a little.
Well, when she went to bed tonight and I heard the noise again. So, I leaned over to listen and it sounded like air was leaking from her tubing but usually when this happens the vent will alarm to let us know there is a leak. I discovered though the breathing was coming out of her NOSE. She is exhaling air out of her nose and mouth while sleeping! When Autumn sleeps at night she breaths at a rate of 20-28 breaths a minute so we keep her breathrate between those numbers to maintain her saturation levels over 92. Most of the time she rides the vent which means she lets the vent breathe for her. Now her breaths per minute are in the upper 30's and her sats are in the upper 90's. I'm hopeful this will be great step for her future and also for her to tolerate her speaking valve without needing to have a bronch done. ;) Just had to share my excitement before bedtime.
1 comment:
I don't know much about the trach/vent...but that sounds so great! I will be saying lots of prayers for Autumn that she continues to make you work hard in figuring out all of her new breathing sounds! :)
Post a Comment