Monday, March 22, 2010

surgery scheduled

Today we had our appt. with the GI surgeon who will be doing Autumn's Nissen surgery. We really liked him and I feel more at ease after meeting him. Her surgery will be on Wednesday at 9:30pm. She will have to go to the PICU after the surgery because they do not have a floor that can handle her vent needs. The dr. said she should be there about 2 nights and then be able to go home. Since she already has a g-button and we know how to do everything that we can just follow-up with Scottish Rite's dieticians to handle her feeds. The only issue we may have is that depending on the placement of the g-button she has now, they may have to remove it and replace it. If so, they will replace it with a g-tube instead and then in 6 weeks change it back to a Mic-Key button again. I really hope that does not have to happen though and we won't know until he gets into surgery to see.

For those who are curious about what a Nissen Fundoplication is here your explanation:
It's one of the most common surgical procedures used to treat severe gastroesophageal reflux (GER). It is performed by wrapping part of the upper stomach around the lower part of the esophagus to create a nipple valve that stops the reflux. There is also a second part of the surgery but that is not in my brochure on how to explain so you get the idea....haha.

I'm so ready for this surgery so I can stop changing Autumn's clothes multiple times a day and I won't have a load of towels, sheets, and clothes to wash everynight. ;) i'm sure though Autumn is even more ready to stop going through vomiting daily. She may still be able to vomit after the nissen but it is effective in helping about 98% of cases with GER to prevent the vomiting and reflux.

Please sends lots of prayers for us all...I also went by our new house today so I will post pictures tomorrow.

No comments: