Sunday, August 29, 2010

Church adventure

So, this summer we have not been going to church regularly and I've missed it so much! It's so hard when it's over 100 degrees outside and to get Autumn out of the house and load her in and out of the car in this heat. Plus she's such a distraction during church it's hard to pay attention and deal with her needs. It's also hard with James' working schedule...we go to Saturday evening church because he's too tired in the mornings to stay up for another couple of hours for church. We have not been able to make a life group after service because James would have to leave early to get ready for work. It's difficult to find a night nurse to work every Saturday and to be here by 5:30pm and stay until 8am the next morning. BUT, it's time to start going on a regular basis because we all need it and we've missed it so much. My SIL has agreed to give up 2 of her Saturday evenings with her family each month now to watch Autumn while we go to church and I think I have convinced one of my night nurses to pick up 1 Saturday shift each month to help us out. That leaves only 1 Saturday a month we would be taking Autumn with us.

Last night was our first time going to service and trying out a life group with Autumn. We have to take 2 separate cars since church is not over until 8:15 and James needs to get home, uniform on, and at work by 9:00pm. So, James leaves with Gage because if we parked near the kids building we would have to take a wheelchair lift to go down a few steps to use a ramp to do into the auditorium (the lift takes awhile and only one person at a time can use it). I had Autumn, Madison, and Jordyn going with me. Get to church while I get Autumn's HEAVY medical stroller out and loaded and then off we go. Get our seats and as soon as the music starts Autumn starts clapping away. She was making us clap and if we stopped she would want us to clap again (not all songs have a clapping rhythm to them). She did great during the singing and as soon as the preaching started she does this thing where she swings her arms back and forth and shakes her head like crazy. So, I took her out of her stroller thinking holding her would keep her more still and less of a distraction to those around us. She kept wanting to squeeze the skin under our chins, pinch my skin, and play with our ears. She would try to move from one side to the other and daddy and I took turns holding her to keep her hands busy and not be in pain from all the pinching going on. She didn't do much beeping though and went the entire service off the vent and needed no suctioning.

After the service it was time to send the girls to another building for their class and search for ours. Our church is HUGE...there is 5 different building and all with multiple levels. We took one elevator and found out we were in the wrong building (4 of them connect) so had to take that elevator down again. We then had to use the chair lift to get to the building we needed...there was a line. We found the correct elevator we needed and went up to the 3rd floor. We go into the class and it's for 30's married with kids. James and I though both felt like we were the youngest couple there. (later saw most had kinders though) Everyone was very welcoming though and greeted us and several different people introduced themselves to us and talked with us. I only had to leave once to suction Autumn. She kept trying to grab pages of my Bible and opening and closing the cover. If I took it away she would cry outloud (I did not mind since I love hearing her voice). Autumn's pulse ox machine now dies on us so now I have to make sure to watch her to know if she stops breathing on us. James had to leave at 8:00pm so I was left alone to have Autumn and pick up all the kids. I had NO clue which room James had dropped Gage off at and had never picked up Gage so did not know the procedure or who to give the pager back to. So, I waited for awhile for the elevator and went to the first level again. Found the info center and asked what to do...you have to get a check-out paper to take to the room. He was on the 2nd floor. So, here I go again. To the elevators and to the 2nd floor now. I'm also calling the girls and trying to direct them which building to walk to to meet me (I barely even knew where I was). Get to the 2nd floor wait in another line to pick up Gage. He wants to go down the BIG slide to the first floor but there is a line and no one to stand with him at the end (since I'm taking the elevator) so I tell him maybe next time. See the girls on the first floor as I'm going to the elevator so wave to them to go to the elevator and wait. Finally, got us all together and now have to figure out where I am to get back the the parking lot I parked in. Went out the doors thinking I can just walk around the building so I don't have to use the SLOW wheelchair lift. There is no sidewalk and it's dark out so only walk a little ways and then head inside the building again. (listening to Madison complain about her class this whole time) Walk inside until we get to the lift and try going outside and around again. Figure out where I am and go down a steep car ramp to the parking lot we are in. Get everyone loaded into the car. It took 30 mins from time the class was over until we were loaded in the car. Get home, have the girls help me unload, then start Autumn's nightly routine (we are an hour pass schedule now).....pajamas, trach care, meds, feed (which takes an hour), and neb treatment. I was so tired.

I was also the night nurse. Went to bed around 11pm. Autumn woke up at 1:30am (cried until I patted her back to sleep). Woke up again about 2:30am (same thing). I woke up about 4am (had a bad dream). Gage started sniffing his nose over and over around 4:30am (sleeps with me on the weekends when daddy is at work) Finally made him take some Zyrtec. Dosed back off and then Layla (our dog) starting barking in her sleep. Got her to stop. At some point heard a TV on....looked into the livingroom and the TV was off (thought I was losing my mind). Heard it again and figured out it was James home on his break upstairs watching TV (Madison had fallen asleep on the couch). Went back to bed. 5:30am, Autumn woke up again (patted back to sleep). 6:00am Autumn was WIDE awake. Turned on TV for her then I went back to sleep. James gets into bed about 7:30am (he gave Autumn her morning meds). I was going to sleep 30 more mins and next thing I knew it was 8:30am. Dang, already behind schedule for today. Even more behind taking time to blog instead of cleaning the house. ;)

Overall, even though it's exhausting and stressful to take Autumn to church...I'm glad we still went. Not sure if we will go to the same class again next week or try out a new one. James didn't really care for the way the teacher taught (he's really picky) ;) Hopefully though we will soon find the right class for us and make some new lifelong friends.

No comments: