Monday, September 20, 2010

Upper GI results

I forgot to update about how Autumn's upper GI went. They saw that her Nissen was still intact. It showed no signs of refluxing into the esophagus and that the formula was emptying fine through the bowels. They also said the intestines looked smooth so they did not see signs of inflammation either.

Well, the day before the GI I was told by another trach mom that prevacid that is compounded does not give an accurate dosage and that it needs to be a dissolvable pill to get an accurate dose each time. Autumn was released from the NICU on compounded prevacid and I never knew there was a solu-tab available. Her pediatrician had changed her dose back in November but she still remained on the compounded liquid prevacid. So, I called and asked the Scottish Rite nurse about it and she said to meet with her after the GI to see what we need to do. So, after we got the good results from the GI we talked with the nurse and she was going to talk to our SB specialist about it. Later she called back and said he was shocked to learn Autumn was still on the liquid formula this entire time and that he feels that could be our issue. So, we have moved her to the solu-tab form...seems like she's not vomiting or gagging as much but she still does at times. They did change her dose from 15mg twice a day to only once a day so I'm thinking she may need a pill twice a day. She has an appointment with her regular pedi this Friday so I will confirm what the dose should be. If it does not seem to completely stop the vomiting though we will discuss using a different formula or changing to a new med for her.

FYI: We left Autumn's breathrate on 6 last night when she went to bed (on accident) and around 3:15am Autumn desatted into the 80's and then James noticed her breathrate had not been changed. So, she went 6 hours before desatting and James even said once when he checked on her, her stats were at 100%! Thank you Lord!

No comments: