Autumn received her wheelchair and it's given her lots of independence. We've also learned she loves to go outside and wheels herself to the door and cries when she doesn't get to go. Her favorite thing to to open & BANG the drawers closed to her dresser and "No,No" means nothing to her. We have had to put up a baby gate to block her from going into her room when she's in her wheelchair because that's the only thing she wants to do.
Gage had his 7th birthday since I last blogged. We did a reptile theme party and had games upstairs and then hired a lady to bring animals to show & teach the kids about. It was so much fun!
| This is the type of snake I use to have ;) |
We thought it would be the perfect time to surprise Gage with his very own pet snake. We decided a corn snake would be the best kind as his first. He named him Corny and the pictures show his shock and happiness. His hands were literally shaking & his eyes filled with tears.
I just love that boy so much! He also had his 7 year check-up. His new pediatrician wants us to see an endrocrinologist about his height. We've been down this road before but she wants us to check it all out again to put all of our minds at ease about it. We are also going to get a hand x-ray to see the bone growth and it will tell us if he's going to just have a late growth spurt, have stunted growth, or be in the middle that it could go either way. Gage is just now getting to where he wants to be the size of his peers so I think it will be good to look into again in case he does want to do something to help his growth. We are open minded to choices but I want him to understand God created him perfectly and to accept himself short or tall. If medically he needs growth hormones because of an issue with production and not just genetics then we do want to have that option available for him. We also took his doctor his Connor's test about ADHD. She did not give an official diagnosis that he is ADHD but all signs say he is. She first wants us to finish our business with an endocrinologist first before meeting with us to discuss options to help with the ADHD. She said if we choose the medication route it can cause loss of appetite and we do not want that to happen. Medication will be our last choice but we will have to figure out what will work best to help Gage be his best in school & help him to stay focused.
May is always a busy time with the end of the school year activities going on. Both Gage and Madison had their field day on the same day so Dean (my nephew) & I went to watch that morning.
| Gage with his friends |
| Dean & Gage |
| This was a letter he wrote to his teacher for her end of year gift |
| This ice sculpture was for the 6th grade graduation |
So, it's official and I now have a 1st grader and 7th grader.
This summer has been busy as well. It seems like I can never catch up...even "rest" days are filled with cleaning & projects. So far this summer we have taken a couple of library trips, have done LOTS of therapy, Autumn had a EEG done to hopefully wean from her seizure meds (waiting on results), we've gone bowling, swimming (Autumn LOVED it), had a fun lake day, we've been to several movies, Gage is taking gymnastics and completed swimming lessons (went from wearing life jacket to diving off a board and swimming solo in just 8 days). We got an AWESOME deal on furniture and a car so trying to redecorate and switch out furniture in rooms has been a pain but it was a blessing we could not let pass us by & worth it. James had his birthday so I am married to a 36 year old...so old! ;) I also managed to fit in a 24 hour trip to Odessa to go to my cousin's dad funeral.
Autumn received her Dynavox communication device yesterday so next week we will get it set up for her to use. So excited and thankful for it...it cost $18,755 but we got it free through a program called STAP. These programs are so awesome because it allows for us to get devices that we would never be able to afford to buy but that Autumn can GREATLY benefit from. I can't wait to see how this helps in her development.
We are leaving in 6 days for our vacation to South Padre Island. I'm excited to be taking our first family trip since Autumn has been born and my brother's family is going with us so we will have a blast. I can't wait!
2 comments:
There's a lot going on in your household. I'm excited for you and your family. Keep the blogs coming. :)
Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Autumn, is an amazing, courageous,strong, and a determined fighter. She is a brave warrior, smilen champ an inspirational hero. miraclechamp.webs.com
Post a Comment