This is our new foster dog named Pete. I could not of gotten a better dog for our first animal foster experience. I walked in to request a small dog since that is what the kids wanted but told them I'd take whatever would help them most. I walked into the area where they board all the dogs. They have about 40 concrete enclosures & each closure had either 3 or 4 small dogs in one or 2 large dogs to a cage. The only single cages were for the dogs who do not do well with other dogs. The lady walked by each cage trying to decide which one would go well into our home. She came to a cage & there wa Pete being tormented by his cage mate. The dog was non-stop barking at him while Pete sat still with his head held looking up & showing his large white teeth (probably growling as well). He looked mean but was not even attempting to snap at the dog pestering him. The lady explained Pete would be good since he really needs to get away from this annoying cage mate. His sweet demeanor got him a ticket to be this dog's mate since he would tolerate the dog without hurting him. As soon as she pulled Pete out of he cage, he started wagging his tail & was so happy. She brought him to me & he greeted me with some licks to my hand. We discovered he had some nasty looking bites on his ears & neck from his cage mate. :( I could not say no to this guy. He was found on a pile of rubble after all those tornados had hit the DFW area. He came to the shelter scared but has been warming up. He's about a 6-8 month old lab mix.
I had to pick him up to get him in my car since he was scared. We got home & him & Layla got along like they have known each other forever. They play some but also are both very calm in the house. I was not sure if Pete was potty trained or not or how he would do with the kids. As soon as him & Layla met, I gave them both a bath. Pete was not fond of the bath but he smelled like a typcal shelter dog. He was starving & so he ate afterwards. He went to go check Autumn out...he's so gentle when around her & she seemed to really like him. She usually ignores dogs or pushed them away but she crawled right over to Pete to see him & smiled. Pete & I then walked to meet Gage at the bus stop. As soon as Gage ran toward him, Pete crouched on the ground & crawled to meet Gage. It was so cute! He's a little jumpy so I'm sure he probably got hit when in trouble in the past. He also will snatch any food within reach so we have had to be cautious. Layla is really good about leaving food alone most of the time. He's been caught chewing on my rug but as soon as we tell him no, he stops & understands he's in trouble. I think he's potty trained mostly...today he came to Autumn's room & started whining to me & I said. "Wanna go outside" & he ran straight to the door. He has had only 2 accidents. He also has not even attempted to go upstairs where all the carpet is. Even when we head upstairs he stays at the bottom..I hope it stays that way so my carpet stays clean & the toys are safe from being destroyed. I have a large kennel in our room so at night he walks straight into the kennel & lays down for bed. He is such a good dog! I hope he can be adoped before having to take him back to the shelter, I don't want for him to have to return. We will keep him until they have room at the shelter again or until I'm tired of caring for 2 dogs or until he's adopted. :)
I'm sure I wrote more details than you cared to read but animals have always been one of my greatest passions. I've missed working with animals (other than my own) since having Autumn so it's nice I can do something I love again while still being able to tend to my duties at home. So, if anyone in the DFW area is looking for the perfect family dog...Pete would be great for your home. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment