November 13, 2008 was the day Autumn got her trach. We were scared and excited about it. We had no idea what it meant to take care of a baby with a trach and vent but we were thrilled it meant she would be able to finally come home. What a whirlwind year it has been and how much we've learned. I remember James and I doing our first trach change together. We were confident and had great team work. It may of taken us 10-15 minutes to get it done but we did it and we were so proud of ourselves....we were motivated to learn fast so we could take our baby girl home. I also remember the day we were told we had to do 3 trach changes by ourselves (no help from each other) before we could be released from the hospital. Are you kidding me???.....I could not figure out how in the world to do it but they showed me the tricks of getting creative and using my mouth since 2 hands were not enough. Now, one year later....I can not tell you the last time James assisted me with trach changes. I'm solo now and it takes less than 2 minutes to do it. Shoot, I can even do one while chatting on the phone....haha! Even though it does take a lot to care for a baby with a trach it has been SO worth it!!!
So, I thought I would share a video of what Autumn's trach change looks like. We only change the trach once a week but we do trach care daily which just consists of taking off the old ties and cleaning around the neck and stoma and then putting new ties and gauze on. Autumn actually coughed during her change on the video and that caused her to desat for a little while but normally she does not cough and does just fine.
Enjoy our happy girl even when she's having to get her trach changed.
2 comments:
Excellent. :o) I think I'd have to throw that pulse-ox out the window with the constant alarming, though. Ours beeps and pauses and even that gets to be nails on a chalk board.
You're awesome! Such a pro and Autumn is so cooperative! Way to go Williams team!
Post a Comment