Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Keeping us on our toes

So, we did get discharged today and got to come home. Today Autumn has been sleeping all day and requiring oxygen and a higher breathrate.

We get home at 8pm and start unpacking and getting settled in again. Our night nurse came in and was getting Autumn's meds and stuff like that. James and I were sitting in the livingroom talking about how tired we are and then the nurse yells from the room that he is going to have to bag Autumn. So, there we go to see what she's doing. Sure enough she was blue and in the 30's. Being the over-bearing parents we are...James took away the ambu bag from the nurse and started bagging Autumn...being the control freak I am I took it away from him and REALLY started bagging her. She was NOT coming up...she ALWAYS comes up instantly when we bag her. So, James said to suction her..I tried but couldn't so I knew she probably had a plug and needed her trach changed. I got the emergency trach out and lubricated as James took the old trach off...um...the trach was not even in!!! It was bent under and not even in her stoma (trach hole). We got the new trach in and then bagged her and she came up. We are thinking it was because today we let the nurse in training at the hospital practice on Autumn this morning and do trach care. The nurse ofcourse helped her but she was having a hard time getting the ties tight enough. Anyways, we did not even check to see if they got it tight enough and just trusted them My guess is as soon as we got home Autumn pulled on her vent tubings so I'm thinking that is when it slipped out and then after getting her clothes and diaper changed she finally went down. So, that got us moving us up in a hurry! We successfully did our first emergancy trach change..I knew the day would have to come eventually. I'm just glad it did not happen while we were on the road So, our nurse just got to sit back and observe..that's why he gets paid the big bucks....haha. I have to admit I was so proud of James and I...it's a good feeling to know we are able to save our daughter's life when needed..okay God is the one who actually is doing the saving but to know He wants to use us in the process is an awesome feeling.

No comments: