We learned something new today. Last weekend when Autumn was really sick she was making more noises through her trach. I was excited thinking maybe as she's getting older she is learning to make noises. During this time she would breathe from her diaphram more and we would give her a Xopenex treatment to help her and she would be fine. When we did her trach change on Thursday there was some thick yellow secretions in the tubing (Autumn rarely has thick secretions). This morning I was in the other room and did not even have the baby monitor on and I heard Autumn crying. I go in there and she's crying like something is wrong. Her stats were good but I could just tell it was something to do with her trach. I suctioned her and sure enough she had a plug (which is just a blob of secretions that make a plug in her trach). As soon as the plug came out no more noise. So, I've learned she can make noise only when her trach is blocked. This afternoon she was breathing as though she was having difficulty but her stats were still at 100%. I did CPT-did not help. I gave a Xopenex treatment-still did not help. She sounded wheezy so I tried suctioned and the tube did not feel blocked--use some saline and still nothing. She started crying and we once again could hear her. James and I decided to do a trach change and sure enough there were thick secretions in the inside of her trach. She sounded completely find afterwards. So, even though I love being able to hear Autumn make noises now I know that it means she got some thick secretions we need to fix. Not sure exactly why she's getting these secretions all of a sudden and just praying there is not an infection coming around the corner.
My nurse is still sick tonight so in the past 9 days we will have had a nurse only one day. I'm glad to know we are doing fine and I'm not as tired as I thought I would be. I guess we will end up with just needing day nursing sooner than we thought. :) Although James has been home to help on the nights the nurses are not here and I have not had to get up in the middle of the night so the story may change when he's working again. I know Autumn has loved all the time spent with the family instead of laying in her room.
2 comments:
We have the same reaction to crying - it's bitter sweet. Typically something is wrong with Mac's trach when we hear her cry too. Unfortunately, it does sound like there's an infection brewing... which may or may not be related to her tummy virus. I'd ask for a trach aspirit.
Great job in going without the nursing! Today was our first day without it, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. :o)
You are such an incredible mama. We will be praying for sweet Autumn, knowing that God has her in the palm of His Hand. Bless you for your faithfulness and your compassion. She is such a gift:)
Post a Comment