Sunday, March 22, 2009

6 months old

Autumn would decide to begin her 6 month old birthday with trying to land another trip to the hospital. ;) I was getting ready to feed her this morning and when I lifted up her shirt to hook her up to her button, it was out. The hole looked completely closed. I started thinking oh no--if it closed up we are going to have to go back to the hospital to have another surgery to replace it. So, I woke James up to the problem. He tried first to push a new button in and could not get it--said it was already closed. I decided to take over--like I always do. :) I pushed and wiggled until finally it popped back in. Whew! No surgery for her this week--sorry Autumn if you wanted to go back where it all began 6 months ago. So, we called nurses to make sure it was fine to go ahead and start feeding her--as long as we got gastric juices coming out we knew we were in the right spot (although there really is only 1 hole to hit). The other button had gotten a leak and I am not sure when it came out. My nurse had changed her diaper at 6:15am so I am guessing that is when it fell out. So, that was her last button (she's already been through 3) and so now we have to get some more back-ups. I think we are only allowed 2 per year so I hope it won't be a fight to get another one.

Yes, today Autumn is half a year old. I can not believe it--she has only been home for about 2 months so it is crazy that half a year has gone by already. We have been through so much in the past six months but it is already becoming a fading memory. She has been doing so well since being home. She now can reach and grasp for toys. She is cooing at us (although no sounds--sometimes you can hear a faint noise so we know she's doing it). She smiles ALL the time. It amazes me that despite all she's been through she has the sweetest and happiest personality. She is getting better with her head control--she gets so excited when we pull her to a sitting position but she can't stay there long because trying to control her head wears her out. She is starting to like attention now and to be held more. She is just so cute that I want to eat her up! I am excited to see how much more she is going to learn and achieve in the next 6 months. I jsut keep praying that we will not have anymore hospital visits and that she will be able to go down on some of her vent settings. Hopefully we are starting to figure her out more and she will soar this year with her health issues and we won't have any major setbacks. Thanks to everyone who thinks of Autumn often--we appreciate the prayers. Before I know it I will be blogging about her turning 1.

2 comments:

Niff and Andy said...

Mackenzie just turned 6 months too and it was a bit of a shocker. I think the first few months seemed the longest. Now it's like time passes by so quickly!

I'm glad Autumn is making progress. With kids like ours, any step in the right direction is one to be celebrated. :o)

HollyAnn said...

Wow! I can't believe it has been that long! What an amazing journey! It is so wonderful to read such a great post with so many positives! I know that is a largly in part to your positive attitude! You are an awesome mommy for little Autumn! How blessed she is...and your other two also! :)

She is precious by the way!