Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Vent Clinic

Today we took Autumn to vent clinic. It went really well. Her CO2 levels and chest x-rays look great. I asked the dr. if her breathing treatments were really necessary and if they could be stopped or given a little less. We made an agreement since her chest x-rays were good that we keep doing the CPT 3 times a day and to double her dose on the Pulmicort and just give it once a day. Xopenex will be given only PRN which means as needed for wheezing. Yeah! So a few less things we have to do each day. I also asked if I really had to have night nurses and the dr. closed the door and then told me that he knows we are great with Autumn and we will be fine if that is what we want to do. I told him I just want to start out with no nurses on the nights James is off since he stays up until 3-4am anyways and maybe use a little more of my nursing hours during the days this summer so that I can spend more time with Madison and Gage. So, we have the okay to go our own on some nights. We have a baby monitor and Autumn sleeps all night so I don't really see us needing them too much anymore. Last night she did great--slept all night, only beeped twice, and slept until 8:00 this morning. I feel she would get better rest without being messed with during the night and I can sleep in since I think she sleeps later without being messed with as well. ;) I was so excited to not have to get up at 6:45am this morning and I slept until 8:00am, it was so nice. So, the plan is to come back on May 12th to vent clinic and then that night Autumn will stay the night at Baylor Children's House for a sleep study and we will get a free night. YEA!! I think a date night will have to get scheduled. They are going to have a sleep study done to see how she's doing at night and if we can change any settings on her vent. So, it was a good appt. and we are done with drs. for the month of April.

2 comments:

Niff and Andy said...

Yay! I'm glad everything went so well. :o) I hope you can start to wean her settings, even if it's just one notch.

Btw, is Autumn handsy with her trach at all? Mackenzie loves playing with her inline suction and has a habit of pulling it off.

The Durham's said...

Just catching up with you guys:) So glad to hear the wonderful progress!! Praise His Name:) How is your prayer study going? Think of you guys often and will continue to pray for your family. Bless you!!