Autumn ended up having back to back therapy today. Speech came in a noon and we talked about liquids and what to do about getting Autumn to being able to drink from a straw. Our therapist will not let us offer liquids by mouth until we get another suck/swallow study done but without practice not sure how she would ever pass one. She was saying that with age the suck/swallow coordination gets better so we could give her liquids on a spoon and see if she aspirates the liquid. So, we just have to decide when we want to do another one and where. They can do it here locally or we could do another one at Scottish Rite which would be free but not sure if I trust that therapist as much. I just want her to eventually be taking liquids normally and not through a button. We also worked on giving her the Gerber puffs. I made them smaller and put it on the side of her mouth and she did exactly what she is suppose to with it. She made a chewing motion and moved it around with her tongue. She gags only because she's not use to the texture so we just have to work with her with the different textures of foods. I will be moving her up to stage 3 baby foods and the therapist is sending me a list of foods to give her to work on textures like veggies, fruits, cheeto puffs, tator tots, etc. I am excited about having a new goal to work on her with.
At 1:00pm her PT came in to work with her and brought an exercise ball with her. Autumn did GREAT in PT today. She was in a crawling position with her boppyunder her belly and was supporting herself with her hand and staying on her knees. That was the first time I've ever seen her with her knees bent under her in a crawling position so I was very impressed with her. We also put her on the ball to work on laying on her belly and pushing up with her hands and then sitting on the ball and leaning her over and bouncing her. The ball gives me a little easier control of working with her and helps Autumn as well on exercising her spine, back, and neck muscles. So, she had very productive therapy sessions today.
1 comment:
Okay so here's my theory... if Autumn tolerated Stage 1 foods, then you should theoretically be able to thicken the water to stage 1 consistancy (but limit the volume), and as she begins to control it better then you add less and less thickener. Does that make sense? It may not work in reality, but perhaps it's worth a try??
I'm glad Autumn's doing so well. It sounds like she's making tons of progress and I'm really impressed with the Miss!
Post a Comment