Sunday, June 21, 2009
Our craziness continues
Gage woke up fever free and did fine all night so I'm just thinking it's allergies or something. The drive home was going fine until we got almost to Sweetwater. Autumn started desatting and then her vent sounded an alarm like she was disconnected but she wasn't. Her stats starting dropping quickly and mom turned on the O2 and I quickly pulled to the side of the road thinking there must be a leak and mom stated Autumn was starting to turn blue. I jumped out of the car not even paying attention to if a car was coming by and was also barefoot. Ran to the other side of the van on the hot pavement and roadside brush and Autumn was turning a little dusky but she was acting fine. Her stats were down into the 20's so I was about to bag her but she started coming up. James was following us so he stops a ways ahead of us and came running. I thought she was good by then but then she started going down again with 6 liters of oxygen. I was checking for leaks and could not find one. James decided we should suction her and bag her. He tried suctioning her first and got nothing and then bagged her until she was back to 100%. I tried suctioning her and could not pass the catheter through her trach so decided we should do a trach change. Autumn still looking at us and responsive. I did a trach change and there was a lot of wetness around her stoma and I tried suctioning but it was really dry. Her stats kept dipping down and up and the O2 did not seem like it was helping. By that time a DPS officer stopped to see if everything was okay and if we needed an ambulance. We told him no...but if he could stand by until we got her situated. James then noticed that the vent filter had cracked and so that is where our leak was and why her stats kept dropping. The officer told us where the hospital was if we wanted to take her. Gage continues to not understand what an emergency situation is with Autumn. He starts making conversation with the officer and telling him he has a Wii and he plays Guitar Hero and bowling. He then asked the guy how his family was. Like Friday when the ambulance came Gage just sat there playing his game on the computer while we were trying to revive Autumn and then just started talking to the EMT's when they came into the house. I guess it's not weird to him that EMT's and DPS just show up out of the blue. We are going to have to go over emergency protocol with him again. I'm glad though Madison and Gage do not get upset when we are dealing with Autumn and they always remain calm and quiet. Anyways, we got her a new filter on and decided mom should drive her car and let James ride next to Autumn. Autumn was acting fine but her stats were still going up and down while 1.5 liters of oxygen so we could not figure out what was going on. We decided though to not go to the hospital because we figured they really would not know how to help so we were back on the road home. James gave her Xopenex (breathing treatment) to open up her airways because we were wondering if she was starting to get pneumonia or something. I called our RT and she said the wetness around the stoma was probably from the water coming back out of her lungs and that the reason I could not pass the catheter and Autumn was so dry was because of her HME. That made sense since I've really never had to suction Autumn on her HME because she does so well on it. So, we are driving along still wondering why she was lingering low in her stats 87-92 and then James notices her O2 tubing came undone from her vent. NO WONDER!!! So, we have NO IDEA when it came off. I know I put if back on after our last stop so not sure if it came off before, during, or after the whole ordeal. Sheesh...we need a break!! Our team work starts to diminish after going 10 days without nursing and James being sick and being out of town. After though we figured it out we were able to turn off her O2 and her stats stayed at 100 almost the rest of the way home. As soon as we got here though my tummy started aching and I couldn't hardly stand up. Mom stayed to feed Autumn and watch her while James got dinner. Gage started running fever again. Mom left. Autumn starts having diarrhea (I think from her new antibiotic). James and I clean up her HUGE mess and I am so ready to just throw in the towel and give up. My thankfulness was running low but God reminded me that even though EVERYTHING seems to go wrong that we still have Him and each other and even though I hate cleaning up diarrhea and changing sheets that Autumn is home with us and we are all safe, maybe not well but safe and we have each other. Lord, I just pray for a peaceful and uneventful night and bless us once again tomorrow (with wellness please). BTW, I have 24 hours of nursing tomorrow....see God IS good!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment