I signed the new paperwork to get started with our new nursing company this afternoon. I think the change will be great. They are getting signed up to be in our MDCP region so we just have to wait for those 22 hours extra hours. We have plenty of hours now already so it will not be a problem. My nurse was already scheduled to work Thurs-Sun so he gets to go ahead and start tonight with the new company. Yea!!!
So, the deal breaker with our last company started Friday night. My nurse did not show up and I thought that was odd because her and I had discussed she was on the schedule and she is always dependable. So, I tried calling (we will call her) "M" the nurse coordinator and pediatric manager. She did not answer her phone and so I called the office to talk with the on-call nurse. That nurse was rude and pretty much said there was nothing she could tell me that I just would not have a nurse that night. I was fine without having a nurse but I wanted to know why and be informed about it. The job of the on-call nurse is to contact the nurse to find out why they are not there or to call "M" but she did neither. This was the only nurse I did not have a phone number for so I could not call her myself. So, Saturday morning "M" called me and said she called the nurse and was waiting for her to call back. Well, the nurse called me about 30 mins later upset that she was going to be getting wrote up for something that was not her fault. She had already worked a 9 hour shift on Friday and then was on the schedule to be off for 2 hours and then do a 12 hour shift with us. Well, that is illegal and they are only allowed to work 16 hours a day and must have at least a 5 hour break in between shifts. She called "M" to notify her that she was not going to work her shift with us because she 1)did not want to lose her nursing license and 2) did not want to put Autumn at risk for her being tired from working all day. "M" told her that was fine and for her not to let me know that she had already worked a 9 hour shift. Well, the day shift she worked is with a baby whose grandparents go to our church. The nurse let me know that she was not suppose to let me know and now she's upset because she may get into trouble for a no-show when she in fact called in. So, I confirmed with the grandmother of the other baby that the nurse had in fact worked all day and the grandmother was even there when the nurse called in. Anyways, I called "M" back to find out why the nurse had not shown. "M" told me she has no idea and that she was going to write the nurse up. I went on and on trying to give her a chance to come clean to me what was going on and she would not. Finally I told her I knew why the nurse did not come and I was upset that she lied to me and was going to send a nurse who had already worked another shift. I still did not let "M" know I knew she told the nurse to lie to me and that the nurse had called in. I also complained that another one of our past nurses was not trach trained and yet was never informed and "M" just called that nurse a liar and that she was being fired. I let her know I was VERY upset with her and I do not trust Autumn's care to her anymore and I would be switching companies on Monday. So, I contacted the nurse she called a liar to see if she was being let go and of course she was not. Also, I sent all of my nurses gift card for nurses week and not one of them received their cards that I left with "M". I even found out from the grandmother of the other child that she had been lied to as well about certain things. I am so upset with the ethics of "M" and decided I could not work another day with that agency as long as she was there. I did talk to a supervisor on Saturday and they were suppose to follow-up on Monday but still today I have not received any calls. I am going to call tomorrow to see what happened and will be contacting DADS to file a complaint. I worry about the families who can not take care of their kids without nurses and for them to have "M" sending them unqualified nurses or lieing to them makes me nervous. We had many scheduling issues as well in the past with "M" and I have always made it clear to her that if a nurse can not make it to please call me before calling in another nurse because we are fine without nursing for a night. She could of just called me Friday evening and said she was sorry there was a mess up on the scheduling and they could not send the nurse because she had already worked. It's that simple. I know she did not do that because she wants the nurse to look bad and not her. Anyways, on Monday she called like nothing every happened to tell me she was sending out a new nurse to cover Tuesday day shift. What??? I've already told her multiple times I did not want to train anymore nurses and I am happy with the 3-4 I have and that we would be changing comapnies. I called her assistant to let her know NOT to send the new nurse and we would no longer need their services. So, I've learned quickly that I can not trust everyone and I have to make sure I double check everything when it comes to Autumn's care. I just praise God that nothing ever happened to Autumn while we were with the company and so thankful for the few nurses that we did trust and who were always honest with us. I am also thankful the nurse told me the truth and did not just keep quiet scared she would lose her job. God is always taking care of Autumn and watching over her.
1 comment:
Oye what a head ache. I'm so sorry the agency acted so poorly. :o( Not good at all. I hope your new agency works much better.
It would probably be good to file a complaint with JCHO. They're the "big dogs" so to speak when it comes to health care. They can actually shut down a facility, from what I'm told. They make a lot of the industry standards.
Here's the link: http://www.jointcommission.org/GeneralPublic/Complaint/
Post a Comment