Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday update

Today I had my 2 week check-up and I am healing well. I still can not drive though for the next 2 weeks so I am bummed about that and I have to go back in 4 more weeks.

Autumn is still not doing well. They took her off the CPAP so they could do the sleep study. They had planned on doing it for 6 hours but Autumn was having too many apnea episodes and getting really tired so they stopped after an hour. They said though they were able to get enough information to see that it is not an obstruction in her airway and that it is a neurological problem. We have to now talk to the neurologist about their plan on what to do next.

The EEG had showed results that she has encephalopathy but the ICU doctors really could not explain to us what it was or the severity of it so we are waiting to talk to the neurologist to find out more. We researched it on the internet and it literally means disease of the brain and could be caused from many different things and there are many different types so we are waiting for the doctor to explain it to us before getting concerned about it.

We also had a wound care nurse come in to check Autumn's closure on her back. She said it is not healing like she would like it to so they are trying another type of dressing and she is going to talk to the neurosurgeons about getting a nutrition work up done because they may need to add some protein to her breastmilk. They said protein helps to heal faster so hopefully it will heal faster once they do that.

I really do not see us leaving the hospital anytime soon. James' parents were able to make it to see Autumn and they both were able to hold her for a few minutes today but she started having her episodes so they had to lay her back down. She has seemed really tired these past couple of days and has been sleeping a lot more. It is going to be a long road for us--please pray to give James and I strength and figure out how to balance our lives in Midland with our lives here in Dallas. James will have to be going back to work soon and I know I need to make a trip home to have some type of normal routine for both the kids and I even if it is just for a day or so. Financially we are going to be feeling it with traveling back and forth and we may have to take shifts coming and going so we may not see each other for the next few weeks. I know God is going to work it out like He always does but emotionally it is still a big strain on the whole family.

No comments: