Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday

Yesterday the PIC line surgery went well. She now has a line that goes from her chest to her arm so she will not blow anymore veins. When they did the PIC line they had to put a turnicut (sp) around her arm (under the armpit) so she now has this red makr all around her arm and they said it will probably bruise. My poor little girl has already been through so much in 3 weeks and it is just getting started. We are going to have a meeting with ALL the doctors caring for her to talk about the long term prognosis for Autumn. We are hoping to have it this afternoon but not sure if all the doctors will be available so we may have to wait until sometime Mon-Wed. of next week. They have pretty much come to the conclusion that the decompression surgery has not worked and so we need to decide on the next step. We are going to discuss the treacheostomy vs. an apnea machine to send her home on and which will be best for her care and what we will be best since we do not have the emergency resources we need in Midland in case something went wrong while we are home. I am feeling a little more empowered that we are going to have the chance to really discuss her care and make a decision and not just them telling us this is what has to be done. If we do the tracheostomy that means a minimum of 6-8 more weeks here and so things will have to change like Madison probably coming to school here and me getting rid of my bullmastiff. We would also have to have nurses come to the house when we do get home so it would be best for me to get rid of my dog. I am heartbroken at even the thought or it but I know I have to do what is best for us as a family for Autumn's care. I am also nervous on how I am going to handle a special needs baby and still have time to take care of Madison and Gage and not let Autumn consume my life--it will be a balance we will have to all get adjusted to. We have a VERY long and challenging road ahead of us but for some reason God chose us to walk down this path so we have to embrace it all as a family and figure out how to do it. I will update when something new happens--right now Autumn is still knocked out and just laying there peacefully.

No comments: